The Vice President of Sales will report to the Chief Executive Officer.
The Vice President of Sales will be responsible for the vision, strategy, and leadership required to achieve or exceed the company’s sales goals and increase the penetration of new accounts. This individual will build out a successful sales organization, establish industry leading sales processes, and implement the sales operations required to profitably grow the company’s top-line. This will include building and maintaining strong relationships with stakeholders in higher education institutions (e.g. Provosts, Deans, Administrators) and academic publishers who provide content to these institutions across the US and Canada.
The Vice President of Sales will serve as a key member of the company’s leadership team, and will establish effective, collaborative working relationships with all members of the team. He/she will create and execute the sales strategies, territory and account plans, sales commissions and compensation structure, and programs that drive business development and sales, while working effectively across the different functional areas of the organization.
- Lead the overall sales and business development functions for the company
- Grow revenue and the customer base aggressively to establish market leadership and justify additional capital investment at high multiples
- Set and exceed revenue targets according to agreed upon goals. Own all sales conversion metrics, annual sales goals and quarterly targets
- Effectively and proactively manage the sales funnel.
- Hire, manage, mentor, and develop a world-class Sales team to build and grow the business
- Develop multi-year strategies and plans for acquiring new clients while managing and growing existing accounts
- Implement a sales methodology, infrastructure, processes and the systems required to ensure the success of the sales function including but not limited to forecasting, pipeline management, sales programs, tracking and metrics
- Understand the needs of users of our product, and work with the product and engineering teams to ensure that we’re building what is most needed.
- Accelerate deal flow and increase win rates
- Establish the overall compensation system including the base, variable comp and incentives
- Establish and operationalize a scalable customer success program, ensuring that not only do customers buy, but that they also adopt and use our product and do not churn.
- Develop pricing policies, including discounts, terms and conditions
- Negotiate pricing and contractual agreements to close sales
- Contribute to developing the messaging, demand generation and branding strategies
The ideal candidate will be a seasoned executive with direct experience managing Sales into the Higher Education market. They will have a verifiable track record of significantly growing a business and building high performing teams. While experience in a large, established company is considered a plus, having worked in a small, fast growing, highly entrepreneurial company is essential. This individual will be creative, strategic and assertive. He/she will be capable of effectively managing existing clients while driving new business. In addition, the successful candidate will have:
- At least 5 years of successful executive-level sales experience in the Higher Education market, taking sales organizations from early stage to scale, preferably for rapidly growing technology service / SaaS software solutions companies
- A demonstrated track record of meeting and exceeding sales quotas and targets
- Demonstrated experience building and managing a high functioning sales team
- Knowledgeable, comfortable and highly conversant with modern web technologies and publishing systems
- The ability to plan and manage both strategically and operationally
- Very effective time management and organization skills
- The ability to instill rigor and discipline in the sales and forecasting process
- Strong negotiating skills
- Financial business acumen
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Technically proficient
- Previous experience working in a 100% remote setting
The Vice President of Sales must be a passionate, energetic, self-driven, “hands-on” leader. This individual will be an inspirational mentor and coach. The successful candidate must possess a strong entrepreneurial spirit. He/she will be an excellent communicator and possess great listening skills. The Vice President of Sales will engage on a regular basis with academics at world-class institutions and as such is expected to be well read, well-rounded and possess a keen degree of curiosity. The ideal candidate will be technically inclined, metrics-driven, decisive, disciplined, collaborative, practical, creative and innovative.
An undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline is required. An advanced business degree (e.g. an MBA) would be a plus.